Floyd campus’ 2014 Turkey Day Walk-Run

Bill Cox and Mary Cox were the winners of the 2014 Floyd campus Turkey Day Walk-Run which took place Nov. 19.

Event participants had to guess how long it would take them to run the 1.85 mile trail around Paris Lake. The participant who finishes closest to his or her estimated time is the winner of the race. The prize for winning the race is a $25 gift card for Honey Baked Ham, one for a male participant and one for a female participant.

Bill Cox, male winner of the 2014 Floyd campus Turkey Walk-Run, approaching the finish line.
Bill Cox, male winner of the 2014 Floyd campus Turkey Walk-Run, approaches the finish line. Photo by Jeremy Huskins

Bill Cox, head grounds supervisor, was the men’s winner with an estimated time of 21:45 and an actual time of 22:32.

He said, “I’m tickled to death to have won. I’m glad I could put what Ken Weatherman taught me to use.”

Mary Cox, administrative assistant at the physical plant, was the women’s winner with an estimated time of 29:00 and an actual time of 29:21.

David Mathis(left) awards Mary Cox, the female winner of the race, her prize of a $25 gift card to Honey Baked Ham. Photo by Jeremy Huskins

She said, “Even though I’ve been participating in the Turkey Day Run for several years, sometimes walking, sometimes jogging, I really wasn’t planning on doing it this year – glad I did.  Last year I was the first to finish the race, but did not win – didn’t get my time estimated close enough. This year I got my time within 21 seconds, so I’d say that was pretty good.  Anyway, my husband and I will enjoy the gift card, and I’ll probably do the TDR again next year.”