SSS offers students a helping hand

Candace Whitfield

Angela Wheelus, director of Student Support Services, and an advocate for helping students reach their goals independently, described Student Support Services as a guide for students to “navigate through difficulty.”

According to Wheelus, Student Support Services offers various support systems for a wide range of strife college students experience.

SSS offers help for mental health, personal, academic and career development, counseling, funding and workshops.

Angela Wheelus, director of Student Support Services, poses with her information on healthy relationships as a part of Day of Love on the Douglasville campus. Photo by Holly Chaney.

The three branches of the Student Support Services include Counseling, Disability and the Workforce Investment Act (WIA).

Students who suffer from depression and anxiety have benefited from Student Support Services because they found help before their issue neared the point of no return. SSS assists students who suffer from anxiety and depression, which can potentially heighten to suicide.

“Suicide is the leading cause of death among students ages 18-24,” Wheelus stated.  Student Support Services offers training for suicide prevention and ensures that no student feels alone.

Wheelus stated that Student Support Services provides support for students who struggle with test taking confidence and perform poorly due to nerves before an exam.

SSS also offers personality workshops, counseling on how to stay married, couples counseling and sessions concerning life plans.

The greatest benefit of having access to Student Support Services is that counseling is unlimited and confidential. “Counseling outside of GHC would cost $100 per session,” Wheelus said.

SSS offered at GHC is free and ultimately saves lives, creates order and gives students taking the road less traveled the hope they need to progress. Wheelus said that Student Support Services’ goal is “to help students finish what they started,” the journey to success.

For more information concerning Student Support Services contact [email protected].