GHC student fees will soon see an increase

The Cartersville Student Center will be supported by the Student Support Services fee increase. The Student Center houses food services, a bookstore, a gym with a walking track, a game room, and offices and meeting spaces. Photo by Stephanie Corona

The University System of Georgia’s governing authority, the Board of Regents recently approved fee increases for Georgia Highlands College.

The current athletic fee of $50 per semester will increase to $85 per semester and the Student Support Services fees, which are currently set at $100, will increase to $130 per semester.

According to Jeff Davis, vice president of finance & administration, the requests were sent to the Board of Regents in Nov. 2016 after they had been heard, voted on and approved by the college’s Student Government Association.

According to Davis, the current athletic fee of $50 per semester has never covered all of the expenses of operating the Athletic Department and that part of the athletic fee increase will be used to further support men’s and women’s basketball, baseball and softball.

The department had to collect athletic fees before it was ever set into operation in order to build a reserve. That money has been used in place of the athletic fees just to keep the athletic programs running. Currently that money has been used up, which calls for an increase in required fees for every student.

Davis also mentioned another part of the fee increase that includes the Student Support Services fee.

This fee is used for access and support for wellness activities on all campuses.

The revenue from this fee will also cover the cost of the bond and operation of the Cartersville student center.

According to Todd Jones, vice president of student affairs, the fee increases will go into effect in the fall of 2016.