New Georgia Highlands Lady Chargers hope ‘to get better’

Photo by Xavier Freeman Kateryna Khomenko goes for a shot as she’s defended by Cierrah Perdue (23) and Ozahria Fisher.
Photo by Xavier Freeman
Kateryna Khomenko goes for a shot as she’s defended by Cierrah Perdue (23) and Ozahria Fisher.

Brandan Harrell, head women’s basketball coach, has one goal coming into the 2017-18 season: “Work to get better and compete for a conference championship.”

Now while some might say that this is the goal for every team, regardless of sport, Harrell’s philosophy seems to be different.

Harrell has arguably turned the GHC women’s basketball team into one of the most successful organizations at the institution.
This makes his goal more difficult to accomplish.

Ever since his inaugural season as head coach back in 2012, the team has responded to him in a positive way.
How does one get better after coming off back to back seasons with only two conference losses?

According to Harrell, the answer is simple, and that is to work and strive for greatness every day.

“Whether that be in game, on the practice floor or even in the weight room, strive for greatness and do not settle for anything less,” said Harrell.

Harrell has added a new member to his coaching staff, former player Shakierya McClendon.

McClendon has been in the shoes of the student athletes and has played for Harrell as a Lady Charger in the past.

The Lady Chargers tip-off the season Nov. 3.
The first home game is Nov. 7.