33rd annual Alabama Shakespeare Festival trip is scheduled

Sign-ups for GHC’s yearly trip to the Alabama Shakespeare Festival will begin in early February.

This trip will give students a chance to visit Montgomery, Alabama and watch performances of “The Miracle Worker” by William Gibson and “Twelfth Night” by William Shakespeare.

According to John Spranza, director of Student Life, “The Miracle Worker” is, “a contemporary play about the life of Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan,” and “Twelfth Night” is “somewhat like a Shakespeare romantic comedy.”

The Student Life office and the Humanities division are sponsoring this trip, and it will take place on April 28-29.

Students who would like to go on the trip must receive a registration packet from the Student Life Office or online. Payment for the trip will be done in the business office and the receipt and packet will then be brought to Student Life.

The trip fee will include admission into the two plays, hotel accommodations, charter bus transportation, an additional side excursion and some meals.

Pricing may vary depending on occupancy of hotel rooms. A hotel room with more than one person will be cheaper than the cost of staying in a room alone. Participants of the trip can request a roommate or be paired up randomly.

Side excursions will include a Montgomery Biscuits minor league baseball game, the park around the Alabama Shakespeare facility as well as the Shakespeare garden.

Sign-ups will begin February 5 and run through March 5. A $50 deposit is required at sign up and sign up will be handled by the Student Life Office.

The balance of the trip fee will be due March 20.

“English classes and many other classes as well offer extra credit to students who go on the trip,” said Kristie Kemper, English professor and one of the trip’s coordinators.