Criminal justice bachelor’s program is in the works

Thomas Boylan story photo
Thomas Boylan, a GHC graduate, is looking to work on his bachelor in criminal justice through the new Criminal Justice bachelor’s program next year. Photo by Catie Sullivan

Students will now have the opportunity to graduate from Georgia Highlands with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice.

At this time the program is pending and waiting the approval of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

Alan Nichols, dean of division of social sciences business and education said, “Our goal is for these new classes to begin in the upcoming spring semester.”

Since GHC is partnering up with eMajor for this unique addition, the program will be held completely online.

Although there will be no in person classes for this bachelor’s program, students still have the option of online or physical classes for their associate’s degree in criminal justice.

Coming together with Dalton State College and Georgia Southwestern State University, professors from all of these schools get together to teach the criminal justice classes. Therefore, a Georgia Highland’s student might be taught by a professor from one of the other two schools.

One professor in particular, Greg Sumner, is the program coordinator for this new addition. Sumner has been teaching for 18 years, and he said, “It’s nice after all of these years to finally get to a point where we too are now offering a bachelor’s degree.”

Perfect for an individual who is either finishing their associates or who is transferring from another school, this is a great opportunity for students to receive their bachelor’s degree with tremendous flexibility but also the level of expertise they would have at a bigger university.

Thomas Boylan received his associates in criminal justice from GHC in the spring of 2018 and is looking to receive his bachelor in criminal justice through the new program next year.

Boylan said, “I am looking forward to the more advanced classes offered in the bachelor program and I’m interested in learning about criminal investigation.”

Seeing how rare this truly is, Sumner said, “I wish I had this opportunity years ago when I completed my undergraduate.”

In addition to the classes required for the bachelor’s degree, students will also have to complete an internship in their junior or senior year.

Allowing students to get their foot into the door to wherever they would like to go in the future, this internship can be in anywhere relevant to the criminal justice field.

Just like with any other classes, Financial Aid is an option with these eMajor classes.

To learn more about eMajor, visit https://emajor.usg.edu.