Chargers’ Wilson ranked #2 in nation

Junior College standout and Pennsylvania native, Langston Wilson, said that he never played high school basketball. Today, Wilson is the number two ranked Junior College player in the nation and credits his father, trainers and the coaches at GHC for helping him learn the game of basketball.

Originally moving to Georgia with his sister for a fresh start, Wilson said, “I was working a nine to five job and happened to be at an open gym with someone who knew coach [J.J. Merritt]. That was the only scholarship offer I had coming out of high school … that was the only choice I had and I kind of made the best out of the situation.”

Over 40 offers from different basketball colleges throughout the country have contacted Wilson. Colleges such as Alabama, Kansas, Oregon and many more are all interested in his talents.

“It [recruiting] is a rollercoaster ride. One day might be really really calm, the next day you might get slammed with phone calls,” Wilson said.

With two years of eligibility left after this basketball season, Wilson said he is still feeling his way through the recruiting process and hasn’t committed to any one school yet.

Wilson said that the team has unfinished business after last season’s loss in the conference championship. “For us being able to have a season [in spite of covid] … that’s major,” Wilson said.

Known for his highlight dunks and athletic 6’9 frame, Wilson said he has more to work on when it comes to the game of basketball.

“I am still learning the game. There’s a whole lot of things I still don’t understand. I still have to ask questions,” said Wilson.

Wilson was a major impact player his freshman year and is taking what he’s learned into his sophomore season and said he’s grown the most in his leadership ability, “I’ve become a lot more mature on the court and just learning wise, I’ve just grown so much more,” Wilson said.

“Langston Wilson has grown a lot from last year. Of course, a big name and supposedly number one JUCO player in the country is Langston Wilson, so a lot of eyes are on him,” said J.J. Merritt, GHC’s men’s head basketball coach.

According to 247 Sports, Wilson is the number two Junior College, or JUCO, prospect in the country for the 2021 class. He is also the number one JUCO player in the power-forward position and number one coming out of Pennsylvania.