Jackson Seabolt becomes Bolt

Is it tough to be a mascot? Jackson Seabolt does not think so; he only had the best things to say about his time as Bolt, GHC’s own mascot.

“The best part is definitely the interactions with kids,” Seabolt said. “They’ll come over, they’ll start handing you stuff, they want you to pick them up – so you just get to hang out with a bunch of kids.”

However, not everyone loves mascots. “At one event, I had to leave a lot earlier because there was someone with an irrational fear of mascots,” Seabolt said.

For those who are not afraid of mascots, there are a few key qualities to be on the lookout for. Floyd Campus Manager Brad Gilmore has experience portraying Bolt himself. “You want somebody that is outgoing and good with kids,” Gilmore said.

Most people do not wake up one day and just decide to become a mascot.

“It was mostly Brad. He came up to me and he was like, ‘My dude, you’re the perfect height, you’re the perfect size and I just figured what the heck, I’ll go for it,” Seabolt said.

Gilmore was beaming in his description of Seabolt’s performance as Bolt. “He’s got a lot of energy, he’s outgoing, he embodies those characteristics. I thought he was the perfect mascot,” Gilmore said.

The importance of our mascots can not be understated, especially for young children visiting the school. “When they see a mascot, that is their best friend, you know,” Gilmore said. “And so you want somebody that really cares about that and wants to put the best face forward for the school.”

The college is currently seeking candidates for at least two mascot positions, according to Gilmore; one for Cartersville and one for Floyd.

Interested candidates should reach out to Student Engagement Coordinator Clifton Puckett ([email protected]).