Black history cannot be erased

Abby Chesnut

Instruction and mentions of Black history continue to be banned and restricted in US public school systems. It is a disservice to those who have suffered and those who would like to learn more about it.

Six Mile Post Staff

February is dedicated to celebrating Black history, and rightfully so. Black history is too important and relevant not to be acknowledged. This country is a melting pot of different races and Black history is incredibly significant.

Critical Race Theory is the theory that the ideals, foundation and systems of this country are based on racism and should be taught. This country has come a long way from CRT being a normality to now being banned in more than seven states. 

Banning CRT is an attempt to erase and invalidate the suffering minorities have gone through and continue to experience. 

The basis of the education system is “whitewashed” and the corruption and systemic racism in this country is hidden. Children are encouraged to recite the pledge and national anthem in school to promote patriotism, but there is nothing patriotic about living in a racist country.  

Superiors of an Alabama high school have tried to silence students promoting Black History Month by telling them not to speak on Black history before the 1970s. Evidence shows that public school-aged children absorb and retain information better than adults. It’s easier to influence children because of this, which is why Black history at public schools is targeted.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has blocked Florida high schools from teaching AP African-American studies to further his efforts to erase Black history in Florida.

Most of Black history is unheard of unless students decide to take an AP history course or African-American studies in college, but what about students that cannot afford college?

The future of this country would be doomed if children did not have access to information with today’s technology. They would not be able to educate and protect themselves from the demise to come.

There is no point in dedicating a month to celebrating Black history if the truth is being suppressed. Some lawmakers want to make Black history nonexistent. 

The real history of this country should be taught and anything else is another ploy to keep us divided.