Chargers hope to be a top ten team this year

Jalen Knight and Dominic Ham mens basketball
From left, Dominic Ham and Jalen Knight practice three point shots. Photo by Lindsay Hamby
Gaffney and Carl Johnson
Phil Gaffney, GHC’s men’s head basketball coach, coaches guard Carl Jones. Photo by Lindsay Hamby

The 2017-2018 Chargers finished the season with 20 wins and 10 losses. The Chargers also finished 13 and 3 in the conference as well. The team reached the playoffs only to lose in the semifinals to South Georgia Technical College.

This year’s team is brand new with many transfers and with only Khalyl Waters returning.

“The difference from last year’s team to this year’s team is we are a lot more mature, talented and taller,” said Phil Gaffney, GHC’s men’s head basketball coach.

Gaffney added, “‘Basketball Times’ has the men’s team ranked number 12th and ‘Street and Smith’ has the team ranked 14th in the top 25 junior college basketball teams in the country.”

Gaffney thinks the team can be a top team this season. He said, “Last year we were ranked 18th but I did not think we deserved to be. This year I think we can be a top ten team.”

Gaffney said, “To be 12 and 14, really your only goal is to get to the national championship. Last year we won the regular season, but we did not win the playoffs which gets us to the national tournament.”

Gaffney said the team is focused on getting through the regular season successfully and especially focusing even more to win the playoffs.

Gaffney feels the team is ready for the next level. He said, “We are feeling good about ourselves, but we want to take that next step. Maybe be a top ten team and then compete for the national championship.”

Gaffney then said how there is not really a specific stand out player. He said, “I do not think we have a stand out player. I think we have a lot of depth.”

The Chargers first home game is Friday, Nov. 9 at the Floyd campus gym.