Women’s History Month will always be significant

Each year, from March 1 to March 31, we celebrate Women’s History Month to highlight the achievements of women who have paved the way in history and to acknowledge the significance of women in our society today.

In 1987, Congress designated March as a month to celebrate women, but how aware are we that this is celebrated in March? Women have been the driving force behind many contributions to society especially in history and for this reason, we should celebrate them.

Women are not only important for their contributions to American history, but also as the pillars of successful households, which is reason enough for acknowledgment.

America, a melting pot of cultures, has been built by immigrants, many of whom were women. They migrated here and became inspirations for their families.

“My mother came here as an immigrant working 60-70 hours a week, not speaking English and hardly being able to spend time at home with her kids to eventually getting a work visa, buying a house and starting a business over the span of 20 years,” Film Production major Hennah Villa said.

Anna Crusselle
Around the globe, people unite to celebrate International women’s Day. The day is dedicated to celebrating achievements of women and as American former tennis player, Serena Williams says, “Every woman’s success should be an inspiration to another.”

As an immigrant myself, I can relate to having great admiration for the women in my life who came here and paved the way for me.

“It has been really inspiring having someone like my mother around to teach me how important working hard is,” Villa said.

When I think about Women’s History Month, I think about the excellence of my mother, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, teachers and every myriad of women I have encountered in my life who contribute to the world.

Women have faced discrimination and inequality for far too long and deserve to be celebrated for their strength and merits.