Journalism majors should find a niche

With AI making its way to attempt to take over the journalism world, journalism majors may be worried that their jobs are being replaced. According to Fast Company, major news outlets have laid off many of their staff in droves for unknown reasons.

While the layoffs may not directly relate to the surge of Artificial Intelligence being used in technology and transcribing media, the need for human labor may seem unnecessary.

“There’s always going to be room for someone to go cover a civic meeting or something of that nature because AI simply can’t do that,” Adjunct instructor of Communications and Management and host of WRGA radio show, Anthony McIntosh said.

There are good things that can come from using AI but it can never replace human creativity and our contributions to content.

Another reason for the layoffs may have been corporate media attempting to make room in their budgets. In an article by Marist Circle, journalism majors may not understand the underlying business reasons for layoffs and they have a right to be nervous about getting jobs after graduation.

“I spent a short time in corporate media, long enough to know that I didn’t want to be in it anymore,” McIntosh said.

Journalism majors should not fear these changes but instead find their calling. They should focus on whatever subject area appeals to them and trust that their craft cannot be replaced.

One thing for certain is that the media world is ever-evolving. AI in the media is still fairly new and we are all learning more and more about it daily in hopes to fully comprehend how beneficial or harmful it is to the future of journalism.