SGA election has declared Bailey a winner

Cheyenne Bailey, a bachelor of environmental and natural resources, has been elected as the new SGA President. She was inspired to run for president by her desire to promote more student engagement.

“Georgia Highlands is not the first school I’ve gone to, but it’s where I have felt most at home so I would love to leave my footprint behind,” Bailey said.

Bailey has always been an active member of student organizations and believes networking enhances student lives and college experiences.

She is currently the president of the Equality Alliance club, the student ambassador of the Green Highlands Club, a member of Women of GHC, the Young Pathway Club as well as the book club. Bailey awaits her swearing-in ceremony to bring her dreams to fruition in June.

“We have a lot of clubs on campus, but nobody knows about them,” Bailey said.

Anna Crusselle
Working as a library assistant has inspired Bailey to run for president. She wants to leave her mark at Highlands and not just leave with a degree.

Bailey wants to bridge the gap between student engagement and organizations. She believes that one reason the message about clubs does not reach the target audience is because of the way the information is shared.

“The one email about student engagement encompasses way too much information so students have the tendency to click it, get overwhelmed and then back out of it,” Bailey said.

Anna Crusselle
Bailey is putting up flyers for the ‘Humans vs Zombie Extreme Tag’ game, which took place on the Cartersville campus from April 22 to April 25.

She has a few templates and new ideas she intends to roll out to change this.

One of her main goals is to make Club Round-Ups more interactive so students and clubs are not just face to face but actually engaging. Having incentives such as buttons, stamp cards and food present is one suggested way to encourage student interest.

Bailey encourages students to voice their opinions and concerns to her. She is not shy and has a good relationship with many faculty and administrators on various GHC campuses.

“I am always open to hear what people have to say and trying to figure out who is best to voice that concern to,” Bailey said. She is not afraid to speak on behalf of the student body to help give some peace of mind.