Investiture ceremony welcomes Hobbs as fifth president

Anna Crusselle
Chancellor of the USG, Sonny Perdue, formally welcomes Hobbs as the fifth president. Perdue delivered a speech about Hobbs’ focus on helping students. “He finds new ways to meet students and everyone else, wherever they are,” Perdue said.

Faculty and staff, the USG board of Regents and the community came together to commence the inaugural ceremony of Mike Hobbs on Sept. 28. on the Floyd campus at 11 a.m. to witness Hobbs’ investiture.

This came as a long-awaited moment for Hobbs, as he spent the past year preparing to take on this significant role. Many in attendance attested to the authentic and passionate nature of Hobbs and how the college could not have picked a better person for the job.

From his humble hometown of Ansley, Ala., Hobbs became the first in his family to graduate from high school and college. From there, his focus on education became the most important thing.

Promoted to assistant night manager at the local KFC, Hobbs enrolled in night classes at Jefferson State Community College and realized he had found his path. Through pursuing his bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees, Hobbs learned the true meaning of perseverance and willpower.

At the beginning of the ceremony, colleagues expressed this sentiment.

Anna Crusselle
Rabbi Larry Sernovtiz blows the shofar to symbolize the need to look into ourselves before contributing to the world, emphasizing Hobbs’ new role as a leader who is followed by many.

“His boundless energy is a reflection of his genuine love for the work and the people he serves,” presiding Regent Cade Joiner said.

Pastor Larry Adams of Mt. Zion Baptist Church delivered a powerful opening prayer to set the tone for the day’s celebration. Following Adams’ invocation, a celebratory video was played, featuring Hobbs’ family, friends and former colleagues congratulating him on the occasion.

Jalen Hudson, president of SGA and Brother to Brother, spoke candidly about the impact Hobbs has had, not only on him but also, on other students.

“Whenever you’re around Hobbs, if you have his attention, he truly gives you his time, effort and consideration, and in that moment, nothing else matters,” Hudson said.

Hobbs’ tenacity has allowed him the opportunity to meet people from around the world, including Anat Sultan-Dadon, consul general of Israel to the southeastern United States. She stated how their introduction at the Rome International Film Festival sparked a direction of partnership and association of bringing the film arts to students at GHC and overseas at the Sapir College in southern Israel.

Anna Crusselle
Bagpiper Laurie Bailey and mace-bearer Steve Stuglin lead the processional into the gymnasium. Dignitaries and faculty followed behind to join the investiture. “The investiture was an excellent way to mark Hobbs’ ongoing commitment to our college,” Humanities chair Allen Dutch said.

“Georgia Highlands College is hosting a pop-up exhibit from Israel’s national library to commemorate the 75th Independence Day of the modern state of Israel,” Sultan-Dadon said regarding a collaboration for displaying art.

Chancellor Sonny Perdue delivered an introduction before Hobbs’ inaugural address. He spoke of the lengthy journey Hobbs had taken and the support system that aided him.

“The infection of the passion and optimism and enthusiasm of Mike Hobbs pervades this place, so if you get a little itchy when you get out, just enjoy, because that’s the excitement of going forward and Georgia Highlands leadership of Mike Hobbs,” Chancellor Sonny Perdue said.

Approaching the podium overwhelmed with feelings of gratitude, Hobbs took a moment to reflect.

“Today is just one of the greatest days of my life,” Hobbs said.

Anna Crusselle
SGA President Jalen Hudson speaks on behalf of the student body. “It doesn’t matter if you are the valedictorian or if you’ve failed every class, President Hobbs talks to all students the same way,” Hudson said.

Hobbs shared that his family was the driving force in propelling him to take a chance on himself and push the limits of his educational abilities. During his 30 years in education, he’s encountered many friends and colleagues along the way who influenced his leadership potential.

“I’ll give you my word today that I won’t be outworked,” Hobbs said. “I won’t sit down I won’t stand down. I will fight for us and I will fight for our students. I will make sure that we get every opportunity that we can and every resource that we can to make sure to bring those back to our students so we continue to have success story after success story. I humbly accept the role as the fifth president of this great institution.”