Small colleges have big benefits

Small colleges have big benefits

There seems to be a pervasive idea that a real college experience is limited to those attending a four-year institution.

While this might be true for some, namely those holding out willful involvement for bigger and presumably better opportunities, those who seek involvement early on in a small school environment are more likely to reap a meaningful, cost-efficient benefit than their four-year counterparts.

As students of a predominantly two-year institution, we have immense opportunity, right now, to make the most of our education.

Leadership roles and involvement are readily available to those interested, and earnest effort will never be more valuable than it is right here.

There is great possibility here to be seen, to be heard and to make a difference in a big way.

Here is why.

You can find help when you need it. School is hard enough without constantly having to overcome communication hurdles.

Two-year colleges have a leg up on larger universities by having an administrative staff that is less burdened and more readily available.

You can actually get to know your professors. A smaller school means a lighter student load for professors, and a lighter student load for professors means more accessibility for students.

Involvement is readily available and easily had. At a smaller, two-year college, your experience can be whatever you what it to be. With students cycling out every couple of years, there are virtually always leadership positions up for grabs.

At Georgia Highlands, less is more. The average cost of attending a university in the state of Georgia is $6,622 per year for tuition and required fees.

In contrast, the average cost of community college in the state of Georgia is $3,620 per year for tuition and required fees.

Choosing a small college experience is the most accessible, friendly, advantageous and affordable way to kick off your college career and make a big splash in a little pond, so get started.