GHC students can join the winter fun with snowboarding and skiing trip

GHC students take to the slopes in North Carolina. Contributed photo

The deadline to register for the college’s annual ski and snowboarding trip, which is also available for course credit, is Dec. 1.

Georgia Highlands College has offered the skiing and snowboarding trip/course for 35 years. This course will give any current GHC student a credit in PHED 1420 or 1421 during the spring semester of 2016.

The actual trip will be held Jan. 4-8 at the Appalachian Ski Mountain in Blowing Rock, N.C. There will also be three workshops during December with a mandatory meeting on Dec. 18 in room 122 at the Cartersville campus.

Ken Weatherman, who has instructed the trip and class for 35 years, said, “This class is a great credit opportunity and is very cost effective.” Weatherman also said, “It comes with great incentives for novice or expert riders who love to snowboard or ski.”

The trip is also open to students who simply want to take a trip to the Appalachian Ski Mountain without getting the course for credit.

“This trip is a great opportunity for students who want to travel with their friends who do or do not go to GHC,” said Weatherman. “We encourage all of our students to come and join us and to bring friends if they would like.”

The trip will include five sessions of skiing/snowboarding, unlimited instruction from the French-Swiss ski program, slope tickets, rental gear and lodging.

Weatherman said, “The prices on the trip vary depending on the number of groups that go and whether the students have their own equipment.”

For more information on the trip, please contact Weatherman at [email protected]

To sign up, please contact one of the following: Cartersville—Cliffton Puckett, Marietta—Abraham Ortiz, Douglasville/Paulding—Lyric Sprinkle, Floyd—Lorrie Rainey.