Nine films vie for best picture at the 89th academy awards

Nine films vie for best picture  at the 89th academy awards

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will present the 89th Academy Awards on Feb. 26 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California.

Oscar nominations for Best Picture include “Fences,” “Hacksaw Ridge,” “Hell or High Water,” “La La Land,” “Manchester by the Sea,” “Moonlight,” “Arrival,” “Lion” and “Hidden Figures.”

Denzel Washington and Viola Davis received nominations for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress, respectively, for their roles in “Fences.”

Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are both nominated for Best Actor and Best Actress for their leading performances as a jazz pianist and an actress in “La La Land.”

Andrew Garfield is nominated for his portrayal of Desmond Doss, a Seventh-day Adventist and pacifist who served as a combat medic during World War II, in “Hacksaw Ridge;” Mel Gibson received a nomination for Best Director for this film.

Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, and Lucas Hedges are all nominated for their roles in “Manchester by the Sea.”

Jeff Bridges is nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his work in “Hell or High Water,” also nominated for Best Original Screenplay.

“Lion,” based on Saroo Brierley’s memoir “A Long Way Home,” is nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay; the star of the film, Dev Patel, is also nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

Ruth Negga earned a Best Actress nomination for her role in the film “Loving,” about the landmark Supreme Court decision, which nullified laws prohibiting interracial marriage.
Meryl Streep, Natalie Portman and Isabelle Huppert round out the Best Actress nominees.