Mabry’s Pitch: GHC offers many ways to get involved in athletics

Mabrys Pitch: GHC offers many ways to get involved in athletics

Josh Mabry

First-year students often say that there are not as many ways to get involved with athletics at GHC as there were in high school. That is not the case. This is a misconception.

There are several ways for students to get involved with athletics at GHC even if they do not play on one of the college’s intercollegiate teams.

The easiest way for students to get involved in athletics is by simply showing up at intercollegiate sporting events. Student attendance at these events was rather low last year. This should not be the case because GHC teams are amazing.

The Chargers’ baseball team made it all the way to the NJCAA district tournament after winning the GCAA conference tournament for the first time ever in May.

The Chargers’ men’s basketball team made it all the way to nationals again in March.

The Lady Chargers’ basketball team made it to the final round of the GCAA tournament in March, and the Lady Chargers’ softball team came in 3rd place in the GCAA tournament last year.

Our teams will perform even better if they have the support of their student body, so come out to the games this year and cheer our Chargers on to victories.

Another simple way for students to get involved in athletics at GHC is by joining an intramural team.

There are several intramural activities offered by GHC, mainly at the Floyd and Cartersville campuses. Some of the interesting activities include co-ed basketball, co-ed flag football and the annual Turkey Day Walk & Run.

Joining an intramural team or activity is a good way to meet new friends, have fun and stay active.