Age is just a number for women’s softball

If you think the faces of the 2019 Women’s Softball team look a little young this year, you’re not imagining things. This year’s team includes 18 freshmen and five sophomores. These young players will be competing against teams that have some 22 year-old players from four year colleges.

Coach Melissa Wood said, “It’s good and bad. You sink or swim in this sport. They’ll have to figure it out. If they play well that’s something we can build on.”

Montana Ledbetter, freshman pitcher, was recruited by Coach Wood after seeing her play last summer. Coach Wood says, “She had an excellent rise ball and struck out six-of-six, so we’re excited to have her.”

Regardless of their age, these players have to keep in shape and go to workouts before classes start each day and practice hours after finishing their last class of the day.

Freshman player, Isabella Marcotte, said, “We have to get up at 5:00 a.m. to be at the school by 5:45 to do weights, and then some of us have 8:00 a.m. classes. We shower and leave around 7:30.”

With their season already started, this team will be one to watch this season with so many freshmen and two returning all-region members, Mallory Alford and Haley Robinson who have the experience to help guide the team.

Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 4.35.16 PM
Izzy Marcotte
Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 4.35.35 PM
Montana Ledbetter