The changes of online learning

Photo by Jackson Morris

From left, Kelsie Gilbert, Marisa Milligen, April Rhudy, Jimenea Hernandez for in the online area of the Cartersville library.

A majority of us can agree that this wasn’t the typical school semester any of us were expecting. Sitting six feet apart in classrooms, mandated masks and a disease that has been putting us and our loved ones in danger. One of the precautions most students and schools decided to take was a switch to online learning.

Doing online school has been challenging for some. Most students grew up in a physical classroom environment with a hands-on approach to learning.

Khaled Abdul-Rahman, GHC student on the Douglasville campus says, “It depends on the course of course, and the environment you’re surrounded by. For example, in this pandemic, it’s hard to get through online learning because of the little social interactions you get.”

Interacting face to face with your peers is something that’s always been encouraged. It’s also a great way to establish a beneficial connection with your professors. However, social interaction can be challenging for some.

Mallory Hobson, online GHC student says, “As someone with anxiety, online learning benefits me through having social interaction at my own pace — through discussion posts and zoom meetings — while still experiencing human connections. This goes for academically as well.”

Student’s motivation has also plummeted while outside distractions are at an all time high. Not only do students have to worry about a serious health threat across not only the nation but the world, they also have to make sure to turn in those four assignments due tomorrow.

Fernando Barrientos, GHC student on the Floyd Campus says, “It feels like I’m not learning anything,” preferring face to face classes.

Last semester there was such a dramatic and abrupt shift to online learning after schools decided a change was in order. Most teachers weren’t anticipating this as well and it caused a strain on lessons while they tried to maneuver in an online workspace. Students picked up on this weariness, putting strain on them as well.

My mind treated it as if I were on a permanent spring break. I was really anticipating going back to school, downplaying the situation at hand. My grades began to slip a little, resulting in my surprise when I passed my second semester. I’m not in favor of online learning in the slightest; it’s been an extremely difficult task over the course of this semester and last.