Black History Month at GHC

Black History Month at GHC

Each year, Black History Month calls for an observance of the people and events in the history of the African-American culture.

It originated in 1926 with Carter G. Woodson and the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History starting the tradition of the second week of February being “Negro History Week.”

Woodson chose February, because Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln were both born in that month.

In 1976 Black History Week was expanded to Black History Month by the federal government.

Black History Month was first celebrated at Kent State University in February 1970.

Anthony McBrayer, a student at GHC’s Marietta campus said, “I’m glad there is a Black History Month. We need to be reminded how far African-Americans have come since slavery.”

In recognition of Black History month, all GHC campuses are holding events to commemorate this historical month.

The Floyd Campus had the African American poet Kyla Lacey “Rising Phoenix” come and speak on Feb. 6. The Cartersville campus also hosted Lacey on Feb. 5.

People from Paulding campus will be visiting the Martin Luther King Jr. Center on Feb. 21 at 2:30 p.m.

The Douglasville campus will also be sponsoring a visit to the MLK Jr. Center on Feb. 20 at 2:30 p.m.

Those planning to take part in any of the MLK Jr. Center trips should RSVP with Lyric Sprinkle, student life coordinator, at 678.872.4223.