Tutorial Center gives students assistance for free

Donavan Harris (left) is tutored by Jennifer Hicks (right) in the Tutorial Center. Photo by Pedro Zavala

Many struggling students may not realize that walk-in tutoring is offered on all campuses and is free for all Georgia Highlands’ students.

There is no appointment necessary for the tutorial center. According to Jennifer Hicks, director of tutoring, the tutorial centers have about 10,000 visits a year by students. She said, “Some students are regulars who come and do homework every day. Others come once or twice a semester.”

Taylor West, an education major at the Floyd campus comes almost everyday she says. “I come to study and get help. They’re very helpful and friendly.”

As of last year online tutoring is also available for students with online classes. GHC has a contract with Brainfuse, which offers tutorial services from its tutors via online.

She stated that although it varies by semester, the subjects that most students need help in are English, math and science. “The number one subject we see is math across the board,” she said.

There are currently 25 tutors in total on all campuses, including part-time and full-time tutors.

At the Floyd campus there are currently seven part-time tutors. There are also student workers that help tutor at the Floyd and Cartersville campuses.

This semester there is also a Spanish tutor available at the Floyd campus.