‘Divergent’ keeps fans raving

‘Divergent’ keeps fans raving

When a beloved book series has an on-screen adaptation, it is usually an anxious time for readers. However, “Divergent” will not disappoint.

“Divergent,” a PG-13 movie based on the book by Veronica Roth, stars Shailene Woodley as Tris, Theo James as Four and Kate Winslet as Jeanine. The remaining characters were well-cast.  The film includes actors such as Zoe Kravitz, Miles Teller and Ansel Elgort.

Many fans were worried that Shailene Woodley would not suit Tris’ character because so many people know her from “Secret Life of the American Teenager.” To their relief, her acting made it easy to see her as the main character.

In her world, society is divided in five factions that stand for different things. The Abnegation are selfless, the Amity are kind, the Candor are honest, the Erudite are intelligent and the Dauntless are brave.

Tris discovers that she does not fit into any of the categories and that she is Divergent. The story follows her decisions, and later on she teams up with Four as they try to figure out what revolutionists are planning to do to the government.

Viewers who have not read the books will not miss anything because the film does a good job of explaining itself. Several details from the book were taken out of the movie, but nothing that would change the original plot line.

The effects used make the fictional world believable and are not overused. The music chosen, including songs by Ellie Goulding, add a lot to the intensity and drama of the film.

Neil Burger, who directed the film, will not be the director of the second installment of the trilogy, “Insurgent.”  The second film is in pre-production. It is going to be directed by Robert Schwentke and is expected to hit theaters in March 2015.

This fast paced sci-fi, action adventure will have viewers on the edge of their seats and will make them completely unaware of the fact that the film is a daunting  two hours and 20 minutes.