Baseball season ends for Chargers

The GHC Chargers baseball team became the GCAA champions after defeating Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College 8-3 on May 13 during the GCAA championship game at LakePoint. This is the first time the Chargers have won the conference.

Since the Chargers won the GCAA conference, the team went to play in the East Central District tournament. The tournament was hosted by Dyersburg State Community College in Tennessee.

GHC played Columbia State Community College in a first-round game at 11 a.m. CDT on May 17 and lost.

Since GHC fell on May 17, the team played at 11 a.m. CDT on May 18 against East Georgia State, which had lost a game against Dyersburg State. The Chargers lost this game.

Dyersburg State Community College won the East Central District tournament. Since they won, they will be going to the NJCAA Division I Baseball World Series in Colorado. The NJCAA Division I Baseball World Series will begin on May 27.

The overall season record for the Chargers was 40-21. GHC ended the season ranked 12th in the NJCAA Division I for baseball.

Danyel O’Neill, head baseball coach, said that even though his team lost, “this season was an overwhelming success, and I am proud of what this team accomplished.”

O’Neill said, “I cannot say enough about my players.  They went from being below .500 a year ago to finishing as the #12 team in the country.”

About next season, O’Neill said, “I love our recruiting class, and I believe we are bringing in loads of talent, so I am very excited about what the future holds.  We will start every season with the goal of competing for a National Championship, and next year will be no different.”

The baseball season ends for GHC after falling to East Georgia State in the East Central District Tournament in Tennessee. Photo by Daniel Smith