Cartersville campus keeps evolving

New Bartow Center. Photo by Tatiana Smithson.

In the fall of 2012, the Cartersville campus transformed into what can now be described as an entirely different college experience.

The new student center allows students to stay on campus, have some lunch and enjoy the amenities the building has to offer.

Another change at Cartersville is the variety of intramurals offered each semester and the new sports teams to come.

Cartersville Building. Photo by Tatiana Smithson.
Along with the student center and intramurals, ground-breaking courses have been added to the curriculum.

The student center at Cartersville is the main attraction on campus. Not only does the center provide an area to play some games such as pool and ping-pong, it also has many rooms which students may not always think to use to their advantage.

The office rooms on the upper level can be a used to have club meetings and/or study groups. In addition, there is a yoga room which can be used as a new place to start a club or athletic class for women in Cartersville.

Another way the campus has transformed over the years is through the various intramurals offered to students.

More sports-related activities like Frisbee, pingpong, volleyball, kickball, five-on-five soccer and baseball are now recruiting players. Also for the more logical thinkers, there is now a poker showdown for anyone daring enough to play.

The now confirmed rumors of a baseball and softball team arriving in the spring of 2014 will give the Carterville students a chance to bring spirit to the campus.

This spring, GHC-Cartersville provides new chances to meet people by signing up for the first-ever speed dating session.

With the rising number of students attending the Cartersville campus, the courses offered at the location are also evolving. New special topics classes are available to assist students with broadening their views in an innovative way.

Cartersville construction. Photo by Erin Baugh.

Debbie Conaway, associate professor of psychology, offers a course in which films are the main teaching tool. The focus for the class is to better understand psychological disorders and how society views those who are affected by them based on the films.

The Area B special topic courses changes each semester, which essentially gives students a broader range of classes to choose from.

Commenting on the new look of the campus, Carolyn Hamrick, Cartersville campus dean, says, “It gives a different feeling and adds to the college experience.”

As Cartersville keeps transforming, the students attending are also changing. Hamrick feels they are becoming more engaged with activities, and they interact more in class.

She says the campus now looks more like a place where students want to begin a college career.