Professor Nancy Applegate Honored as Mace Bearer

GHC faculty has selected Professor of English, Nancy Applegate, as the honored Mace Bearer for this year’s commencement ceremony, which will take place on May 9.

“Dr. Applegate is a well-respected leader within the faculty at GHC, and we are thrilled she is the winner of the 2024 Mace Bearer Award,” Kim Subacz, associate professor of biology and faculty senate president said.

The Mace Bearer’s role is to lead the academic procession while carrying the Mace.

More than a ceremonial club, the Mace represents a deep commitment to values such as academic freedom, authority and the pursuit of truth.

This honor, deeply rooted in academic tradition, recognizes her distinguished service and commitment to the GHC community.

Abigail Henderson
Professor Applegate is seated on a bench in front of the lake on the Floyd campus.

“It means a great deal that my colleagues appreciate what I’ve done for the college,” Applegate said. “I think my involvement in student activities has been the key.”

“I’ve always enjoyed hosting and participating in student-centered events–anything, no matter how embarrassing–in the name of instructor/student interaction,” Applegate said.

“I’ve kissed a pig, thrown pies at people and had pies thrown at me, gotten dunked in a dunk tank, read poetry, worn assorted costumes, danced in Harlem Shake videos, attended ball games, thrown ORK parties, Halloween parties Christmas parties, taken part in just about every Spring Fling and so much more,” Applegate said.

Reflecting on her speech at graduation in 2019, Applegate stands by the advice given to her by fellow English professors, her late husband Joe and her late best friend LaNelle: ‘Always be yourself, embrace your strengths and do the best you can. You are someone’s example for what can be accomplished through hard work and perseverance. Embrace this role because your influence will continue much longer than you realize.’

Applegate has experienced and lived by that philosophy herself. She shared that one of the decisive reasons for majoring in English was seeing the passion and involvement of her English professors when she was a student at the University of West Georgia.

Perhaps one day, the lasting impression Applegate has made on her students will inspire them to become remarkable professors themselves for the next generation.

For those aspiring academics, Professor Applegate shared a practical piece of advice on perseverance, given to her by her husband, Loyd: “Sometimes you have to lean into the wind. “Back your ears and get at it.”