Enough is enough

Enough is enough

According to merriam-webster.com, to be politically correct is defined as:
agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people.

The definition’s literal meaning is very plausible when you consider different groups of people you may be interacting with at different times. It also reflects a certain respect for others.

Sadly, what begun with good intentions has gone badly awry. Instead, the term is now applied, with a change to “politically incorrect,” to anyone who voices a difference of opinion. This can refer to a difference in political stance and even personal interests, with the targets many and varied.

My own passions can simultaneously be labelled as such from different quarters. I am sure the same is true for you. Think about it.

Have you ever been told your ethnicity, origin, personal history or even a hobby offended someone?

In that person’s eyes, you are being politically incorrect and insensitive.

By the same token, it can be said this person is being the same toward you.

It seems to me many people would prefer for us to be carbon copies of each other. We should have the same thoughts, ideas, loves and hates and discard any identity related to where we came from. But would it not be pretty boring if we were all exactly the same?

Consider this as an example. If you are from a foreign country, I have no problem with you being proud of the fact and proud of your history. However, my difficulty rests upon those who say the American flag should not be flown or our history, all aspects of it, should not be taught because it might offend.

Events in our country’s history have created the chance for people all over the world to make a new start here.

We should be proud of who we are, allow others to be who they are, respect where we are, and respect others.

This country was founded by groups refusing to accept ridicule for who they were.

Enough is enough.