Career center now open on the Georgia Highlands Cartersville campus

Kim Subacz, biology instructor, volunteers at the career center.
Kim Subacz, biology instructor, volunteers at the career center. Photo by Shelby Hogland

Cartersville students can now get career counseling at the new career center located just inside the main entrance of the academic building.

Run by both career counselors and faculty volunteers, the center helps students figure out their next step in their career process, offers help with resumes and gives students easier access to drop-in advising.

There are two computers in the career center so students can find local job opportunities and important dates and deadlines.

The center is also a convenient place for new students to ask basic questions.

Leslie Johnson, Cartersville dean, said, “Students can easily find someone to help them with career counseling or direct them to needed resources on our campus.”

According to Johnson, the new center was the brain-child of Georgia Highlands Career Counselor Dorothy Morgan and Disability Specialist Kim Linek.

The center is equipped with a mannequin to show students the proper attire for job interviews and other professional events.

The career center is also equipped with a professional clothes closet where students can borrow the proper attire for interviews, class presentations or other occasions.

Kim Subacz, biology instructor and faculty volunteer at the career center, said, “Before, there wasn’t a whole lot here, and the center helps students get pointed in the right direction.”

The center is open on Thursdays from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. and Fridays 8 a.m. until noon.