Deadline nears for 45th issue of GHC’s Old Red Kimono

ORK staff and advisers read submissions in their office. They are (from left) Caleb Howard, literary editor; Wesley Sanders, art editor; and faculty advisers Nancy Applegate and John Kwist.
ORK staff and advisers read submissions in their office. They are (from left) Caleb Howard, literary editor; Wesley Sanders, art editor; and faculty advisers Nancy Applegate and John Kwist. Photo by Lydia Chandler

Georgia Highlands College’s literary magazine, The Old Red Kimono, will be coming out again this year. It consists of art, photography, fiction and poetry from GHC students, faculty and others from all over the world. Almost as old as GHC itself, The ORK has been in publication since 1972.

The 45th issue of ORK will be published in late April.  There will be a reception to celebrate the release of the new issue, and students who are published in the magazine will get the opportunity to read their works at the reception.

“Students get to see their work in print, and once it’s in print, it’s there forever,” said Nancy Applegate, professor of English and one of the ORK faculty advisers. Applegate also said, “Students also get to see their work alongside that of faculty and staff and sometimes more established poets.”

The official submission due date for this issue is Feb. 18.

Artwork submissions can be brought to The Old Red Kimono office, located in the student life office, on the Floyd campus. Poetry, fiction, and pictures of artwork can be submitted by email to Applegate at [email protected].

For more information, go to https://www.highlands.edu/site/ork.