Floyd campus students learn how to care for their cars

Bryce Wood of Jim’s Tires demonstrates to GHC students how to locate the car battery and attach jumper cables. Photo by Xavier Freeman

Floyd campus students who didn’t know how to change a tire got a first-hand demonstration from Bryce Wood of Jim’s Tires in Rome.

The demonstration was part of GHCs “Adulting” series sponsored by Student Life to help students become more independent. Roughly a dozen students showed up for the demonstration at 2 p.m., Oct. 12 in front of the Walraven Building.

Wood encouraged students attending to participate. They were first taught how to operate the jack so that the car could be lifted up. Then he showed one of them how to take off the lug nuts and put on the temporary tire.

Wood said, “Working for a tire shop, we see every day people who don’t have any knowledge of this, and we want to make sure students are prepared.”

Wood also encouraged everyone to read the owner’s manual and also recommended keeping certain equipment in the car at all times.
These items included a flashlight, bottles of water, gloves, rags and, of course, jumper cables.

Wood then opened the front of the car and showed how one can find the battery and attach the jumper cables if the car needs to be jump-started.

He also answered a question on when to replace batteries and combatting corrosion from acid.

In terms of his personal experiences related to learning car basics, Wood said, “I’ve taken it for granted because it’s simply been part of my life.” Wood gave everyone in attendance a complimentary goody bag containing a tire gauge and pamphlets giving car care tips.

View Comments (1)