Floyd spring intramurals will start up later this month at GHC

Floyd spring intramurals  will start up later this month at GHC

According to J.J. Merritt, associate head men’s basketball coach and Floyd campus intramurals director, spring intramurals will start up soon at Floyd, and it is not too late to sign up for an activity.

Sign-ups are currently being held at the intramural table in the Student Center next to the game room and Student Life office. Any GHC student, faculty or staff member can sign up for intramural activities.

The first intramural activity that will take place is the NBA2K18 tournament. This starts on Feb. 26 in the game room. According to Merritt, the winner of this tournament will receive a $10 gift card.

Co-ed 3-on-3 basketball will begin on March 5 at noon in the gym. According to Merritt, if someone shows up and plays in at least three games, they will receive a free t-shirt.

The Six Mile Post cosponsored ping-pong tournament will start on March 7 in the game room. The winner of this tournament will receive a trophy and recognition in the April Six Mile Post.

The pool tournament will begin play on March 7 as well. Merritt said the winner of the pool tournament will receive a $10 gift card.

Merritt enjoys being over intramurals at Floyd. He said, “My favorite thing about being over intramurals at Floyd campus is the different people I meet and interact with during the activities.”

Merritt encourages others to join intramurals to make new friends and be more involved in campus activities.

David Mathis, assistant director of athletics, believes that intramurals are an important part of the college experience.

Mathis stated, “You meet new people and can play a variety of sports both as a team or individually.”

Mathis continued, “Intramurals give students a break from the daily grind of their studies.”

If anyone has any questions about intramurals, they can contact Merritt at [email protected] or 404-399-6363.