TheatreExtreme improv event comes to Cartersville ballroom

TheatreExtreme will be hosting an Introduction to Improvisation event in the student ballroom on the Cartersville campus from 5:30 – 7 p.m. on November 13. This event is organized by Sean Callah. “The school is partnering with TheatreExtreme to provide connections with GHC and our community,” said Professor of Communications Travice Obas. With no practice at all, the audience will have the opportunity to do improv on stage. TheatreExtreme will show some improv exercises and members of the audience will get a chance to perform what they have learned.

Sean Callahan, the even’t oranizer, said, “This is a first in a series of events designed to cultivate creativity and innovation at GHC.” This improv lesson is an important event for GHC and its students because improv has proven to have many positive effects on people. Obas even has personal experience directing shows at local theaters. Cognitive development and social-emotional development are both linked to improvisational comedy, freestyle rap and jazz music. Neuroscientist Charles Limb and others have scanned rappers’ brains during freestyle and memorized rap.

The studies show that during free-styling, there is a functional change in their neural networks, according to the Washington Post. Practicing improv actually changes the brain. Creative improvising also adds needed business skills. When someone practices listening, they train their mind to process and react to what is being said. According to Callahan, “Oftentimes people believe that creativity can not be learned, that it’s a trait you either have or do not have. That’s not the case at all. With practice, people can learn to become more creative thinkers, problem solvers, and innovators