Brandon Harrell – what do you even do here?

Brandan Harrell serves as the athletic director. His responsibilities include supporting and overseeing varsity sports.

As Harrell describes it, his job as the athletic director involves overseeing varsity sports, including baseball and softball at the Cartersville campus, and men’s and women’s basketball at the Floyd campus.

His duties encompass an array of responsibilities, from managing facility and game day operations to handling student athlete eligibility and budgetary matters. He is in charge of all the sports, regardless of the campus they are located.

Patrick Daniel
Brandan Harrell is the Athletic Director for Georgia Highlands College.

Harrell emphasizes that there is no typical day in his role. While certain tasks may be recurring, such as scheduling games and arranging travel logistics, each day presents unique challenges and opportunities.

“In our office, everything from game day logistics to student athlete eligibility and budget management falls under our purview,” Harrell said. “Every day brings new challenges and tasks, whether it’s scheduling games, coordinating travel arrangements, or ensuring the smooth execution of game day operations.”

He explains that his main goal is to give support to athletes and coaches while also helping them through their day-to-day activities.

Harrell finds fulfillment in the relationships he builds with coaches and student athletes. Watching them grow, both athletically and academically, is a source of great pride and joy for him.

“The relationships I form with our coaching staff and student athletes are incredibly rewarding,” Harrell said. “Our coaching staff is like a tight-knit family, and I feel fortunate to be a part of it.”