Men’s and women’s basketball pick up conference victories


Brandon Dyer

Chargers players Kyree Mitchell-Hairston (20), Joel Pullen (30) and Chris Wright focus in after a basket by the Chargers.

Brandon Dyer, Sports Editor & Podcast Host

The men’s and women’s basketball teams played two GCAA (Georgia Collegiate Athletics Association) conference opponents in a doubleheader Monday evening at The Corral, with both teams winning in different ways.

Chargers guard Kyree Mitchell-Hairston attempts a layup in their game against Central Georgia Technical College on Jan. 24, 2022. (Photo by Brandon Dyer)

The Lady Chargers took on the Andrew College Lady Tigers and it didn’t take long for the game to get out of hand.

When the final buzzer sounded, the Lady Chargers had picked up a 99-43 win.

The men’s team followed that up with a win of their own, beating the Central Georgia Technical College Titans 62-51.

The Chargers put up 34 points in the second half, which proved to be crucial for the victory.

TJ Horton finished the game with 13 points, the second-best on the team, while Jarrel Rosser led the way for the Chargers with 14 points and nine rebounds.

The women’s team made it a point to spread the ball around in their contest.

In all, three Lady Chargers notched double-doubles: Jashanti Simmons, Jada Alston and O’Mariyah Tucker, with Tucker adding a team-high seven steals.

The win extends the Lady Chargers’ winning streak to 18, the longest in the NJCAA, and keeps them undefeated at home this season.

The Lady Chargers were the first to put their feet on the court, going up against the Lady Tigers.

At the end of the first quarter, the Lady Chargers found themselves up 24-11.

Simmons and Alston would play big parts in the Lady Chargers, extending their lead in the second quarter by scoring 11 of the Lady Chargers’ 19 points.

Jarred Rosser grabs a rebound after a miss by Central Georgia Technical College. (Photo by Brandon Dyer)

The Lady Chargers allowed nine points in the quarter and suddenly found themselves up 44-19 going into halftime.

With the Lady Chargers running away with the game, the third quarter put the game out of reach for the Lady Tigers as the Lady Chargers’ offense exploded for 31 points.

When the fourth quarter started, the Lady Chargers had a 70-34 lead and just needed the time on the clock to wind down to be declared the victors.

The Lady Chargers took the win at 99-43 when the clock reached zero. 

After the Lady Chargers left the court, it was the men’s turn.

Their opponent came into the game with a 12-4 record, threatening the Chargers’ top spot in the GCAA standings.

Both teams played aggressively to begin the game, with multiple foul calls and words being exchanged more than a few times.

Defense took over the game in the first half, with neither team able to pull away from the other.

The Chargers ended the first half of the game with a three-point lead, but they knew they had to start the second half fast and they did just that.

Horton and Rosser provided the spark that the Chargers needed, combining for eight of the Chargers’ 12 points in a strong start.

The 14-3 run by the Chargers set the tone for the rest of the game as the Chargers didn’t trail again.

The Chargers put up 34 points in the second half, and when the final buzzer sounded, the Chargers found themselves as the victors, 62-51.

Looking ahead for both teams, the men’s team will be back in action against the Albany Technical College Titans at The Corral on Saturday, Jan. 29, while the women’s team won’t see their homecourt again until Feb. 11 when they face off against the Spartanburg Methodist Pioneers.