Meet the faces behind the President’s list

Brittany Garwick

From left to right, Debra Wigbels, Alexa Munoz Pinon and Colby Morris are recognized for their outstanding academic achievement among numerous students that acheived the President’s list.

Brittany Garwick, Features Editor

The President’s list is a long-standing achievement of academic excellence. Students must maintain a perfect 4.0-grade average while taking a minimum of nine semester hours of credit. A few students from the Fall 2021 President’s list have been open about what making the list meant to them and what recommendations they have for their fellow students.

Debra Wigbels of Rome, Georgia
Debra Wigbels is completing her Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene. Wigbels found a passion for learning after graduating as a dental hygienist in 2003.

Wigbels said, “It’s [making the President’s list] made me feel a lot more confident… especially being an older student too, like ‘okay I still got it.” “Nothing sweeter than your eleven-year-old daughter saying ‘I’m so proud of you, Mommy,’” Wigbels said. She is grateful to her husband, son, daughter and mother for supporting her while enrolled and working part-time.

Wigbels hopes to join and work alongside the teaching faculty in the dental hygiene program upon graduation.

Alexa Daniela Munoz Pinon of Rome, Ga
Alexa Pinon is a freshman that is studying middle grades education with a focus on STEM. “All my hard work paid off,” Pinon said. “Having to stress over the assignments, the tests and going to the support center, they all paid off.”

Pinon recommends that students purchase and use a planner to look ahead. Following graduation, she intends to transfer to Shorter University to achieve her Bachelor of Education and become a fifth or sixth-grade teacher.

Colby Slade Morris of Silver Creek, Georgia
Colby Morris is a returning student having a prior bachelor’s in history. He is currently studying business logistics and supply chain management. Colby intends to pursue a double major in Geology. He also works in the cafeteria on the Floyd campus.

“It’s nice to be recognized for my high GPA,” Morris said. “There was a lot of hard work last semester to get that. My philosophy is if I’m going to pay to go to college, I’m going to get the most out of it.”

Morris recommends flashcards to other students. “Flashcards are a big help, especially in classes that are heavy on vocabulary; testing yourself helps.”