SGA meeting discusses end of semester events

Abby Chesnut

SGA and club leaders met to discuss events planned for the end of the semester.

Victoria Pacheco, Guest Writer

On March 25, the Student Government Association held a meeting via Zoom to announce GHC events and share activities that all students can participate in. The meeting brought SGA members as well as various GHC club leaders together.

LaTascha Echols, GHC’s Learning Support Coordinator and SGA advisor, said that the SGA holds its meetings at 11 a.m. every first and third Friday of each month. 

The meeting started with discussing deadlines for PASS surveys, graduation applications and the RSVP date for this year’s graduation ceremonies.

However, one of the most prominent discussion points of the meeting was the GHC Spring Fling. The SGA members discussed the moonwalk and dunk tank that attendees could enjoy at the event. Leaders of clubs also stepped forward to share what they would bring to the event.

The Game Club shared that they would hold a ring toss with winning and participation prizes and the PTK (Phi Theta Kappa) stated they would host a special corn hole tournament.

While this meeting discussed all these events, becoming a part of the SGA can give students the opportunity to participate in creating, aiding and attending many more events, trips or projects, along with helping their fellow students and building leadership skills.

“The Student Government Association is Georgia Highlands College’s model of student government. The primary purpose of the SGA is to serve as the voice of the student body and act as a liaison between students and college administration in order to help formulate just and proper regulations pertaining to student government and to assist those persons designated to enforce the regulations,” according to the GHC website.

This semester’s last SGA meeting will be on April 15, but students who are interested in joining the SGA for the Fall semester can find contact information on the Leadership Development page.

While anyone can attend SGA meetings, Echols said that joining the SGA is based on a student’s GPA.