Georgia Highlands College opens new Marietta campus

Patrick Daniel

Accommodating 450 students and 30 staff members, the new GHC Marietta campus is the newest expansion of its facilities in Northwest Georgia.

Chris Daniel, Staff Writer & Artist

On May 23, classes began at the new GHC campus in Marietta. Located at 1090 Northchase Parkway, the new site has replaced a small site located on the old KSU Southern Polytechnic University campus.

This expansion provides more options to students and increases GHC’s presence in Metro Atlanta. The campus has eight classrooms, two computer labs, staff offices, a library and learning commons.

“We’re really proud of our new home,” Marietta campus Dean Ken Reaves said.

Reaves also noted the recent growth of the campus.

“We have an enrollment of 450 students and a staff of 20 part-time and 10 full-time faculty members.” He also mentioned the possibility of expanding to the third floor during the coming years.
Mackleen Desravines, assistant professor of English, shares Reaves’ enthusiasm for the new site.

“The new site is so nice and we feel more at home. I really like the newness of the building and all that is to come,” she said.

Another advantage the new campus offers is that the Marietta location is no longer sharing space with Kennesaw State University.

“We are able to hold our own events in our own space, such as the Halloween Horror Open Mic and other fun events for students, faculty and staff,” Desravines said.

The new Marietta campus is one of several projects seeking to help serve thousands of students, along with the Cartersville campus STEAM academic building, the “Charger Learning Commons” and ongoing renovations to the Winn building on the Paulding campus.