Review: Jigsaw returns in ‘Saw X’

Bree Messenger

“Saw X” is the tenth installment of the “Saw” horror franchise. The film is directed by Kevin Greutert and written by Peter Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg. The franchise began in 2004 with the release of “Saw”. Greutert has previously worked on seven films including three other “Saw” movies.

This film is said to take place between the first two “Saw” films. “Saw X” shows John Kramer getting treatment for his cancer in another country but as it turns out, he was scammed. So he puts all those responsible in new traps with the help of his apprentice Amanda Young.

Unlike other “Saw” films, Kramer is the main focus, and Tobin Bell gives an outstanding performance.

The film was very well done with beautiful cinematography and lighting that makes it feel like a continuation of the main saga.

“Saw X” is the longest in the “Saw” series with a runtime of 118 minutes, but it feels perfect for the story the filmmakers wanted to tell. With that being said, this movie doesn’t have a massive impact on the main storyline of the first seven films, but it doesn’t feel purposeless.

“Saw X” is a great entry into the “Saw” franchise with some extra goodies. This film continues the legacy of Kramer in the bloodiest way possible.