3D design class makes themed shadow boxes

Patrick Daniel
Students have created shadow art boxes that are on display in the Cartersville campus library.

The Cartersville campus has a new attraction in the library—shadow box art. These pieces were done by the 3D design class with the help of newly hired art professor, Chelsea Carver.

The purpose of the project as stated by Carver herself is, “To make a three-dimensional shadow box that has a matching theme.” Carver uses other artists as an inspiration for her students.

The inspirational artists for the project are Joseph Cornell, Louise Nevelson, Robert Rauschenberg and Jasper Johns. In short, the project is used to understand design in multiple ways and 3D design in general.

Students were not required to have a theme, but it was recommended for a more creative output.

The projects seemed to be very fun for Carver’s students to do as well. “…I was really feeling the whole mystery vibe on the project. I decided to stick with that theme for my shadowbox,” 3D design student, Lindsey Mikayla, said.

“I find [I] put a lot of pressure on myself [by] picking up a storyline or process that is way more difficult than I expected it to be, but this one I found to be pretty simple in my opinion. Some hot glue, and some scrapbooking sort of process, collaging and I found it to just enhance my ability to put all the things together into one,” Mikayla said.

Overall, Carver’s opinion of the project is very positive. “I think every student did accomplish that and it was very fun to see the differences of theme,” Carver said.