Cartersville Writing Center moves to bigger location

Julia Pendley
The Cartersville campus Writing Center has moved to a new location in room A166.

Recently, the Writing Center has moved from the library in Academic Building A to a bigger location on the Cartersville campus in room A166. 

Most students had issues locating the center with it being tucked away, but with the new location, students can expect it to be easier to find.

Dean Leslie Johnson, who is also a staff member for the Writing Center, said a previous classroom had opened up so they took advantage of the opportunity to be more visible to students. 

“I think students will find it a little more spacious than what we’ve had in the past. It is a little easier to get to and to find because we opened directly out into one of the major hallways on the first floor, not too far down from the elevators and pretty close to an outside door, so I think accessibility is there,” Johnson said.

With the Writing Center located in a formal classroom setting, it provides students with a much more spacious writing area. There’s more room for desks, chairs and computers.

“I think the space is big enough that it could accommodate several students working with several writing assistants so I think the size and accessibility are the two things that students will appreciate about where we are now,” Johnson said.

Students who have not visited the new location are encouraged to do so and can utilize the center for more than just English essays. 

“Just about every course for which a student would have a written assignment, we can help. It would not have to be English. My guess is most of the people who come in, do come in for English papers, and that may be because students don’t realize that we can help with a business paper or a psychology paper or a science paper, because sometimes students do have papers for science classes to write or nursing classes and we can help with those things,” Johnson said.

The Cartersville Writing Center is open to students Monday and Wednesday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. To visit the Writing Center, students can log into their Navigate account and schedule an appointment.