Review: ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ stays true to history

“Killers of the Flower Moon” is a crime drama film written and directed by legendary filmmaker Martin Scorsese. It is based on a book that goes by the same name, written by David Graham. 

The events in both the film and the novel happened in real life to the Osage Tribe in the late 1910s to late 1920s. There was a string of murders because of money generated from oil that was found in the area. 

Leonardo Dicaprio stars as the film lead playing the character of Ernest Burkhart who marries an Osage woman named Mollie played by Lily Gladstone. They both give very strong performances that sell the story. 

The movie does a good job of giving awareness to what actually happened to the Osage Tribe without whitewashing history. Actual family members of the victims were consulted for this movie, giving the film a more authentic feel. 

Scorsese’s direction is impeccable as always. There are some beautiful shots and camera framing. The cinematography is definitely a high point of the film.

Martin Scorsese has another hit on his hands with this release. Let’s hope he continues this trend with his next film.