The Golden Popularity

The Golden Globes is an annual awards ceremony that recognizes filmmakers and actors. The ceremony has been hosted every year since 1944.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, comprised of 93 members, grants these awards upon nominees. The ceremony is hosted by a different person each year.

Many believe that this ceremony benefits the film industry as a whole and gives recognition to talent.

“The point of the show is to give recognition to filmmakers,” Emily Harris, a member of the Highlands Film Society said. “And to set precedents, I think it succeeds in that aspect.”

Others think that these awards mean nothing and feel like a popularity contest, not actually being about the talent of the actors and directors.

Joseph McDaniel, another member of the Film Society, shared this sentiment: ‘It’s become less about cinema,’ McDaniel said. ‘And more about ratings.’

The Golden Globe Awards are accolades bestowed for excellence in both American and international film and television.

Although he has doubts about these types of shows, McDaniel still enjoys them.

One of the main highlights of this year’s ceremony was Lily Gladstone’s Oscar nomination for Best Actress for her performance in ‘Killers of the Flower Moon.’

She is the first Native American woman to win such a prestigious award.

According to an interview with Georgia Public Broadcast, Gladstone said, ‘Yes, it’s been — it’s just been so touching to share this moment with so many people, just the response across Indian country, people I have never met, people I do know. It’s just — it’s really heartwarming.’

Many have mixed feelings about the ceremony, yet the event is still held in high regard.