Laura Ralston – what do you even do here?

Laura Ralston serves as the mathematics professor at the Cartersville campus.

She has been with Georgia Highlands for 25 years, teaching everything from learning support to precalculus. Now, she mainly teaches statistics.

Patrick Daniel
Ralston teaches elementary statistics 1401, 2401 and also the statistical analysis for business which is part of the BBA program.

She stated that her main goal is to teach and interact with students in hopes that it will help them succeed later in life. In fact, she also said that this is her favorite part of the job.

“I actually like being able to see the students’ faces or the light bulb come on when it finally clicks because something that I’ve said or an example I’ve given has finally helped them learn,” Ralston said. “I tell my students on the first day of class that I enjoy what I do. It usually becomes obvious very quickly.”

In a recent email interview, Ralston shared her excitement at being named the recipient of the Wesley C. Walraven Faculty Award, a prestigious honor bestowed upon her by GHC.

This award is to be presented at the upcoming Floyd Campus commencement ceremony on May 9, and carries profound significance within the institution.

The Wesley C. Walraven Faculty Award, named after Dr. Wesley Walraven, fondly referred to as “The Dean,” pays tribute to his enduring legacy and commitment to student welfare during his tenure as Academic Dean from 1970 to 1993.

Dr. Walraven’s unwavering dedication to students, coupled with his leadership qualities and contributions to teaching and learning, serve as the guiding principles for this esteemed award.

“I was excited and quite honored to be selected as the recipient of the Walraven Award,” Ralston said. “Many esteemed colleagues and mentors have previously been selected for this award. I am thrilled to join their ranks.”

Ralston’s selection for the award is attributed to her embodiment of the qualities espoused by Dr. Walraven himself.

Over the span of her career, she has exhibited an unwavering commitment to student success, continuously seeking innovative teaching strategies to enhance the learning experience.

“I continue to seek strategies to improve my classroom effectiveness and teaching prowess,” Ralston said. “I have incorporated growth mindset learning activities to help students recognize that learning is possible with time, effort and practice.”

Students commend her engaging instruction and unwavering support as she often receives “Thank-a-teacher certificates.”

One student remarked, “wonderful engaging instruction with clear and colorful note-taking that was interesting and made the content easier to understand.”

Her dedication to providing an enriching learning experience underscores her passion for empowering students to succeed.