Featured game: Frigid home opener results in softball split

Wind gusts and temperatures below 40 didn’t stop the Lady Chargers softball team from making their first appearance in front of the home crowd this season on Feb. 3. They split a doubleheader with the University of South Carolina-Salkehatchie Indians.

Game one had the Lady Chargers jumping out to an early lead, plating three runs in the 1st and a lone run in the second frame.

The offense stalled there, and starting pitcher Rebecca Meade began to struggle as she tired, giving up a run in the fifth and sixth runs in the 6th. USC- Salkehatchie closed strong, and took Game 1 by a final score of 7-4.

Brianna Fickes led the offense with a home run and 2 RBI, inching her within one bomb of the GHC career home run record.

Head Coach Melissa Wood said that she was “disappointed” about this game. She said, “We left too many runners on base and let uncontrollable factors, like cold weather, affect our play.”

Game two reinvigorated the Chargers, as Hannah Wills walked it off in the 7th inning for a 4-3 GHC victory. The offense was once again led by power-hitting first baseman Fickes, who had a single, double and 2 RBI. Shay Wooten tallied two base hits and 2 RBI. Micayla McCoy tossed 5 strong innings, allowing 9 hits and 3 runs. She was relieved by Natalie Pederson, who collected her first win of the season.

The Lady Chargers have started the season 5-3.

Wood said, “We don’t want to peak right now, but we are hitting the ball well and making adjustments.”

The team looks to keep pushing towards a national championship run.