Starting small brings big accomplishments

Editorial art
Art by Joseph McDaniel

Every student should consider starting their college journey at a smaller, mostly two-year college like Georgia Highlands.

Starting at a smaller college is financially smart. For the current academic year, tuition and fees at the University of Georgia for in-state students taking 12 credit hours are $11,818, while the total estimated cost for this year at the University of Georgia is $26,404.

Tuition and fees for in-state students taking 12 credit hours at GHC this academic year are $2,224.08.

Students at colleges like GHC get to know their professors on a personal level because class sizes are smaller. Professors typically know each of their students by name and are always willing to assist students when needed.

Students at two-year colleges have more opportunities to be involved on campus during their first two years. At bigger colleges, students typically choose to wait until their junior or senior years to be involved on campus.

Student Life hosts a variety of fun events, such as poets or live musical performances for students to enjoy. The easiest way to be involved on campus is to simply show up for these events.

Current GHC students should encourage every high school student they know to consider starting their college journey at a smaller, mostly two-year college, like GHC.