Basketball conference wins and game recap

Brown & Burke
Jahnaria Brown and Jamal Burke. Photo contributed by Jason Hitzeman.

Women’s update: win against first-place rival

The Lady Chargers knocked off the first-place Lady Titans of Albany Technical College on January 18. With the win, the Chargers moved into first place in the conference standings.

After the first quarter the Chargers led by a point. By halftime the lead was built up to 15 points. In the second half the Chargers continued to roll, closing out the game with a final score of 81-40.

GHC’s leading scorer for the game was Jahnaria Brown, who finished with 20 points and 14 rebounds. The Chargers now sit at 11-8 for the season and 7-2 in conference play.

Men’s update: 11 game winning streak 

The Chargers came away with a close win over Albany Tech on January 18. In the first half, the Chargers established a 24 point lead. In the second half, the Titans played themselves right back into the game.

Despite the surge from Albany Tech, the Chargers managed to keep the game under control in the second half with 12 of 13 free throws. Five GHC players scored in double figures to lift the team to a 96-82 victory.  Jamal Burke scored 19 points and 10 rebounds. Langston Wilson added 18 points, Cahiem Brown and Taj Fraley had 14 each and Nicolas Huteau scored 12.

This makes 11 straight wins for the Chargers with a current 14-4 record and 5-0 in conference play.

In their upcoming home game, both Charger teams will face Central Georgia Tech on January 29. Ladies play at 2 p.m. the men at 4 p.m.