Students Without Borders to host Chinese lunch and movie

Abby Chesnut

Students Without Borders faculty adviser, Alexandra Reiter, said she wants the “Joy Luck Club” event to be inclusive so that more students will want to get involved.

Russell Chesnut, Editor-in-Chief

Students Without Borders invites all students to a Chinese-style lunch accompanied by a screening of the 1993 film “The Joy Luck Club.” The event will be on Oct. 22 from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Paulding campus library.

Assistant Professor of Communication and the club’s faculty adviser, Alexandra Reiter, said club membership is not required to attend the event, but students need to RSVP by sending an email to [email protected].

“They’ll meet new people, they’ll have a fun social event, they’ll have a nice lunch and they’ll learn a little bit more about Chinese culture,” said Reiter.

Students Without Borders is a club that focuses on cultural development and awareness amongst students. Green Highlands and Woman to Woman are co-sponsoring the event.

Flyers for the event have been posted around the Paulding campus. The time of the event has been updated to 11:30 am to 2 pm. Photo provided by Alexandra Reiter.

“Even though it’s a cultural event and we’re showing a Chinese-themed movie, we often work together with other clubs to put on events so we can spread the word and get more people involved,” said Reiter.

“Everyone I think has been craving a social interaction,” said Reiter.

Reiter said the event will be socially distanced and that the food will be handled properly to keep everyone safe.

“If people want to wear a mask they can,” said Reiter, “Whatever their comfort level is, I just would love people to come out and feel like Georgia Highlands is a place that includes them.”

Students Without Borders meets every second and fourth Wednesday of the month from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. over Zoom.

Students without Borders Zoom link: https://highlands.zoom.us/j/97965571757

Meeting ID: 979 6557 1757

Passcode: SWB