Earn credits, experience in Paris with study abroad

Paris, with its winding cobblestone streets, iconic landmarks and the sweet aroma of freshly baked croissants, stands as a unique destination. This summer, students can immerse themselves in this historic city and earn credits toward completing their program of study.

The study abroad trip from June 17 to July 15, 2024, offers a comprehensive cultural and academic experience. Though the itinerary is still in the works, participants can expect some must-visit stops like Normandy, Versailles, Giverny, the world-renowned Louvre and the Eiffel Tower.

USG Paris Program Director, Jordan Dominy says students can also anticipate a trip to the Chateau de Versailles in which students will “get the opportunity to have a self-guided tour of the manor and the grounds during the last weekend.”

The course syllabi and detailed itineraries are anticipated to be released this month.

With a cost ranging from $4,800-$5,500, this price tag does not include airfare or tuition. It might sound like a hefty sum, but ABAC Bainbridge Executive Director, Michael Kirkland, offers some savvy advice suggesting students consider looking into scholarships or requesting contributions for the trip as birthday or holiday gifts.

Prospective globetrotters should mark March 15, 2024, at 5 p.m. as the application deadline on their calendars.

The trip carries the weight of six academic credits and students will have the privilege to explore an array of subjects: African American/Black studies, film/cinema/video studies, history and literature to niche studies focused on gender, culture and women’s studies.

For those who meet the following qualifications, a valid passport is a must-have. For U.S. passport holders, there’s no need for a visa. 

However, those with non-U.S. passports should connect with USG Goes Global to check for any visa requirements. It’s essential to ensure that passports remain valid for at least six months after the trip’s conclusion.

While USG doesn’t enforce vaccinations, the CDC encourages travelers to be updated on routine shots and suggests getting vaccinated against hepatitis A and B.

Every participating student needs to register for at least two courses during their stay abroad and maintaining good academic and disciplinary standing is expected. 

The trip is exclusively for those 18 or older by the departure date. Unfortunately, it is not available for dual-enrollment students.

Having taken a solo trip to Paris in 2022, Dominy says he enjoyed watching the final stage of the Tour de France from near the Place de la Concorde and the Tuileries, as well as seeing the beaches at Normandy, the American Cemetery at Normandy and the Bayeux Tapestry.

“There are so many things to do in and very close to Paris, that I think [this] summer I’m looking forward to exploring the city even more,” Dominy said.

A ‘USG Goes Global brochure’ offers key details for those eager to dive deeper. For further questions, students can contact Dominy.