Budget continues to recover from low enrollment

Ainsley Howard

According to an email from Chief Financial Officer Jamie Petty, “The budget has decreased over past fiscal periods due to decreased enrollment two years ago.”

In the email, Petty provides a detailed explanation of the status: “Being most affected by the pandemic, GHC is not operating with a budget deficit. The budget allocated each year is dependent on enrollment two years prior. Therefore, for the year 2023 the budget is based on enrollment in 2021.”

It was also mentioned that the University System of Georgia is responsible for awarding budget allocations to serve universities/colleges from July 1 to June 30 of each academic year.

“The 2023/2024 budget is based on the 2021 budget in which we were down 1500 students. Enrollment being down in 2021 was due to various reasons but one most notable,” President Mike Hobbs said.

Also explained in the email, “While operating on this decreased budget, the college has made efforts to adjust to decreases in the overall budget by not refilling vacant positions while also decreasing the departmental operations at the end of fiscal year 2023.”

Budget discussions are held in ‘Charge Ahead’ updates. “These sessions provide all budget managers the opportunity to provide updates, discuss their budgets, and discuss successes, challenges, and future goals within their area alongside leadership, as well as adjustments to the overall budget and area budgets,” Nicholas Godfrey from the president’s office, said. 

“We’ve got some tough decisions to make, but other avenues for making ends meet are being explored,” Hobbs said. “New grants and business partners are being brought in and the scholarship gala raised about $40,000.”

Lastly mentioned by Petty in his email, “These efforts have been successful, and more money is intended to be raised…The school’s leadership is focused on making reasonable reductions while providing the highest quality of education and services our students deserve for years to come.”