Spend your summer in Wyoming and earn science credits

Ainsley Howard
Here’s what you need to know about the Wyoming Summer Geology Field Course trip.

The Wyoming Summer Field Courses experience invites students to spend their summer in the Rocky Mountain West, led by Geology Professor Billy Morris and STEM Division Chair, Brandy Rogers.

Students have the chance to earn credit in up to four courses and fulfill science requirements. Those courses include Geology, Environmental and Natural Resources and Environmental Science.

Morris has been taking students to study in Wyoming for over twenty years. “In 2022, he invited me along to begin developing classes in the life sciences that we could offer in addition to the Geology courses,” Rogers said. “So I enthusiastically accepted the invitation.”

A PHED elective along with a special topics course in dinosaurs have been added which has allowed the professors to increase the student count.

This trip is an opportunity for students to gain a deeper understanding of Geology and Ecology while exploring the earth.

Before the trip, participants must attend ten pre-trip evening classes and complete post-trip assignments upon return. More information about the trip can be found here.

“Beyond that, they will gain confidence in their ability to explore, inquire and learn in changing environments and circumstances,” Rogers said. “They will make new friends and set new goals for themselves.”

Students who have taken the trip in the past have shared they have no regrets in participating. “The Wyoming trip from, my experience, was a wonderful alternative to traditional class,” Environmental Science/Natural Resources major Jorge Casillo said. “The memories and experiences I have now are priceless.”

Interested students are looking forward to being a part of the experience. “I am really interested to see how I will retain information seeing as it will be hands-on learning,” Criminal Justice major Hannah Story said. “I am looking forward to learning new things and having the opportunity to travel to places I have never been to before.”